Isolating the Impacts of Price, Volume, Cost and Mix
A Handy Tool for Understanding Where Changes in Revenues and Margins Are Really Coming From
As pricing professionals, we're under constant pressure to explain differences in period-over-period revenues and margin-dollars. Are the revenue increases you're seeing the result of selling more volume, realizing higher prices, or both? What portion of the margin gain you're experiencing is really coming from better prices and how much is actually coming from better costs? And how much of all of it can just be attributed to selling a different mix of products? Answer all of these questions and more with the Impact Isolation Estimator. Using this straightforward spreadsheet-based tool, you can:
- Isolate the impacts that volume, pricing, costs, and mix have had on period-over-period performance changes.
- Quantify how much volume, pricing, costs, and mix have contributed to differences in both revenues and margin dollars.
- Identify where changes in product costs have magnified...or mitigated...improvements in realized prices and volume.
- Put an end to the second guessing, skepticism, and in-fighting over who or what should be getting the credit (or blame).
This tool is just one of hundreds of educational resources you get access to as a PricingBrew Journal subscriber.
More Subscriber-Only Resources From Our Library
Seven Strategies for Boosting Margin Dollars
It's good to have a few strategies close at hand that are effective at boosting margin dollars without a lot of time and effort. This video guide explains seven simple solutions that can make a big difference to profitability.View This Guide
Why Pricing Initiatives Fail
In B2B, some pricing initiatives just don’t work out as planned—they either struggle to produce worthwhile results or they fail outright. So, how do we avoid making the same mistakes that have derailed other initiatives?View This Webinar
Diagnosing Pricing Problems
When companies stop at a default diagnosis of, “Something’s wrong with the pricing,” they never identify and fix the true root-causes of the issues. In this on-demand webinar, learn how to identify the real root-causes behind pricing performance issues.View This Webinar
Advancing Your Career in Pricing
There's never been a better time to be a B2B pricing professional. But when it comes to your career, you can’t just hope that good things will happen in the future. In this on-demand webinar, learn how to take charge and make good things happen.View This Webinar
When you join your peers and become a PricingBrew Journal subscriber, you get immediate access to this tool as well as all of these other features:
- Training WebinarsDozens of on-demand webinars covering crucial pricing topics with new webinars every few weeks
- On-Demand LibraryA searchable library of hundreds of concise guides, tutorials, cases, assessments, and research reports
- Expert InterviewsLearn from others in pricing who’ve “Been There and Done That” through our Expert Interview Series
- Help DeskAsk our team of analysts for advice, insights, and perspectives on your specific pricing challenges