Where Should the Pricing Function Be Located?
Exploring the Pros and Cons of Pricing Reporting to Sales, Marketing, Finance, or the CEO
When looking to establish a formal pricing function, one of the first questions that comes to mind is around where it should be located organizationally. Because the organizational location can determine a great deal about how a function performs over time, this decision shouldn't be taken lightly or made in haste. In this research briefing, you'll learn about:
- The four typical locations for Pricing: Sales, Marketing, Finance, or reporting directly to the CEO.
- The reported pros and cons associated with each location, as well as the overarching rationale.
- The strategic benefits of certain organizational locations and the tactical downsides of others.
- The model that can provide an "insurance policy" on the decision about where to locate Pricing.
This research is just one of hundreds of educational resources you get access to as a PricingBrew Journal subscriber.
More Subscriber-Only Resources From Our Library
Are They a Price Buyer or a Poker Player?
It's easy to assume that when a buyer says they need a lower price, they really mean it. But making the wrong assumption can be very costly. Nelson Hyde explains how to tell when a buyer is bluffing.View This Interview
Revamping Sales Comp to Improve Pricing
In this on-demand webinar, you'll learn about the pros and cons of various approaches for infusing pricing performance into your sales compensation plan to reduce unnecessary discounting and boost profitability.View This Webinar
Isolating the Impacts of Price, Volume, Cost and Mix
Using this straightforward tool, you can finally put an end to the second guessing and skepticism by isolating and quantifying the contributions of price, volume, cost and mix to period-over-period revenue and margin differences.View This Tool
Developing a Winning Roadmap for Pricing
From our research, leading pricing functions go through key evolutionary phases in becoming more effective and strategic. In this 3-part training webinar, learn how to develop a roadmap that streamlines that evolution with a plan to be a more valuable and strategic function.View This Webinar
When you join your peers and become a PricingBrew Journal subscriber, you get immediate access to this research as well as all of these other features:
- Training WebinarsDozens of on-demand webinars covering crucial pricing topics with new webinars every few weeks
- On-Demand LibraryA searchable library of hundreds of concise guides, tutorials, cases, assessments, and research reports
- Expert InterviewsLearn from others in pricing who’ve “Been There and Done That” through our Expert Interview Series
- Help DeskAsk our team of analysts for advice, insights, and perspectives on your specific pricing challenges
Come Join Our Next Webinar
Pricing Through Uncertainty
Strategies and Tactics for Navigating the Ambiguity and Risk in Pricing