Where Should the Pricing Function Be Located?
Exploring the Pros and Cons of Pricing Reporting to Sales, Marketing, Finance, or the CEO
When looking to establish a formal pricing function, one of the first questions that comes to mind is around where it should be located organizationally. Because the organizational location can determine a great deal about how a function performs over time, this decision shouldn't be taken lightly or made in haste. In this research briefing, you'll learn about:
- The four typical locations for Pricing: Sales, Marketing, Finance, or reporting directly to the CEO.
- The reported pros and cons associated with each location, as well as the overarching rationale.
- The strategic benefits of certain organizational locations and the tactical downsides of others.
- The model that can provide an "insurance policy" on the decision about where to locate Pricing.
This research is just one of hundreds of educational resources you get access to as a PricingBrew Journal subscriber.
More Subscriber-Only Resources From Our Library
The Price Segmentation Self-Assessment
Simply answer the questions in this self-assessment (objectively) to gauge the likely quality, accuracy, and efficacy of your price segmentation model. You can assess overall quality, as well as pinpoint specific opportunities for improvement.View This Tool
From Tactical to Strategic Pricing
Some teams are so mired in tactical grunt work and daily firefights that they never make progress on strategic pursuits. How have other pricing teams transitioned into more strategic functions? What steps did they take?View This Webinar
The Fundamentals of Multinational Pricing
Multinational expansion often brings a massive increase in pricing complexity. In this session, we discuss how to cut through the complexities, focus on the fundamentals, and drive big performance improvements.View This Webinar
Making Sense of Pricing Technology
Are pricing technologies all the same? Do the differences actually matter? What do we need? How do we choose? In this webinar, we cut thru the confusion to help you understand your options for technology-enabled pricing.View This Webinar
When you join your peers and become a PricingBrew Journal subscriber, you get immediate access to this research as well as all of these other features:
- Training WebinarsDozens of on-demand webinars covering crucial pricing topics with new webinars every few weeks
- On-Demand LibraryA searchable library of hundreds of concise guides, tutorials, cases, assessments, and research reports
- Expert InterviewsLearn from others in pricing who’ve “Been There and Done That” through our Expert Interview Series
- Help DeskAsk our team of analysts for advice, insights, and perspectives on your specific pricing challenges